This page is designed to help you ensure your submission is ready for and fits the scope of the journal.
Before submitting you should read over the guidelines here, then register an account (or login if you have an existing account)
AboutThe Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (JTMAE) is ATMAE's on-line peer-refereed scholarly journal. From 1984 through 2011, the Journal was published as the Journal of Industrial Technology. The JTMAE publishes peer-refereed scholarly articles involving research and applied research applications, along with non-refereed informational articles. Our primary journal audience includes Technology, Technology Management, and Applied Engineering faculty, students and professionals in industry and academia. The JTMAE continually posts new articles in an annual volume, with up to 4 issues in each volume, posted in January, April, July and October.
Focus and Scope
The JTMAE publishes both peer-refereed and non-refereed scholarly and informational articles of interest to applied engineering and technology students, educators, and professionals in industry and academia. Refereed articles generally fit into four broad categories:
- Applied Papers (applied research),
- Research Papers (original basic or empirical research),
- Pedagogical papers (pedagogical research and issues)
- Perspective Papers (Meta-analysis—sound literature reviews to update the state-of-the-art or which provide a synthesis and suggest new implications or directions for further research).
An examination of articles already posted to the JTMAE may help you decide if the JTMAE is the appropriate publication to submit your manuscript. The target audience for published articles include applied engineering and technology management educators, students, graduates, technologists working in business and industry, and others interested in applied engineering and technology management issues. All manuscripts should include implications of findings and conclusions in terms of its value for these audiences in the manuscript.
All JTMAE manuscripts must be submitted through the Digital Press manuscript submission and peer-review platform.
"Anonymous Review" and Author Identities
- Do not include biographical information about any authors in the text or at the end of the article.
- Do not include institution names within the text of the article where that would identify the author's institution. In such cases, the name of the institution should be replaced, where appropriate, with "XXXX University", "XXXX College", "Alpha University" or another "alias".
- Remove "identifiers" in MS Word properties: Your MS Word settings may identify you by name or have other information that can help identify you and compromise the blind review process. Go to the "File" menu, select "Info," click on "Check For Issues, " then click on "Inspect Document," and delete any text in the "name," "initials," and "mailing address" fields. These directions reflect a Windows-based machine. Settings may be different on a Apple machine.
Peer-Refereed or Non-Refereed
Indicate your choice of "Peer-Refereed" or "Non-Refereed" consideration when uploading your manuscript. General information articles should be submitted as non-refereed manuscripts.
Write for the target audience—a common question asked by reviewers is "Why am I reading this?" Is your paper useful to the Industrial Technology professional in academia or industry? Do you relate your conclusions to industrial technology and educational practice or practical applications?
Prose must be written cleanly and correctly. Authors should use peers and professional editors to assist them in finalizing articles before submission. Poor grammar, spelling, syntax, language usage, and lack of organization will obscure the best research and analysis and make your paper unreadable—and unacceptable.
The JTMAE, like other technical and scientific journals, accepts papers written in "third person" format. Use "the author" or "the authors" rather than "I" or "we."
APA & ATMAE Format
Prepare manuscripts according to the current edition of the Publications Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA style), except where the APA style is superseded specifically by these manuscript guidelines. Include an introduction, purpose, methodology, findings, and implications in the research.
An abstract of 150 to 400 words is required for each JTMAE submission. The abstract should make clear the applied engineering and technology management focus of your paper, along with the other typical elements of an abstract (introduction to topic, goals of research, methodology, summary of findings, implications of research).
References & Footnotes
- Use APA format. Cite each reference in text using the author-date method, with the surname of authors and the year of publication: 1) Jones (1985), and 2) Further work shows (Jones, 1985).
- Follow the format in the APA style manual for your reference listing, and consult published JTMAE articles for examples.
- References should not be footnoted.
- Your reference list should alphabetize authors by last name.
- Do not include references on the reference list not cited in your paper.
Include the article title, or a shortened version of the same, as a running header at the top of each page of the article. (Use the header formatting function to correctly preserve the title as a header.)
Clearly indicate headings and their hierarchy in the text. Avoid UPPER CASE in headings; the JTMAE prefers Bold text for headings, Italicized text for subheadings, and Underlined text for secondary subheadings.
Length of Paper
The JTMAE puts a premium on concise and effective writing. Your article, excluding figures, tables, illustrations and references, should not exceed fifteen (15) typewritten, double-spaced 8.5" x 11" pages.
Fonts, Margins & Line Spacing
- The text shall be either 10- or 12-point font, either Arial, or Times New Roman style; for ease in review, 12-point text is preferred.
- Use one-inch (1") margins.
- Double space all text in the body of the paper.
- The abstract and text related to tables, figures, photo captions, appendices and references may be single-spaced.
The paper shall be numerically paginated at the bottom center or bottom right of the page, with pagination beginning on the first page of the text. URLs and Email Addresses within the text or references are permitted, but do not include hyperlinks.
Artwork: Tables, Figures, Photos
Please read and comply with these requirements regarding graphic content within your paper document:
- Submit clean, crisp, camera-ready artwork (lines and figure text should be solid black).
- Artwork may be included in the text (this method is generally preferred by reviewers), placed at the end of the text, or placed at the end of the text with preferred insertion points noted within the text. The final design of published article and placement of artwork will be determined by the JTMAE staff.
- Identify artwork with table/figure numbers and brief captions. Use proper APA style and placement of captions.
Revising a Paper After Review
Authors have 90 days to submit a revised article. Articles that have not been revised and submitted within 6 months will be automatically withdrawn. If an author chooses to submit their revised paper, they should make clear (by bolding or highlighting changed sections or additions in Word). This allows the Editorial Panel and Reviewers to easily determine how authors addressed issues raised during review.If requested, authors may also be asked to write a cover letter to explain the revisions that were completed. Please follow the directions provided by the Editor and Editorial Panel to facilitate a speedy second review.
ACCEPTANCE: If your article is accepted, submit a short biographical statement for each author, a photo of each author (preferably a head-shot; a high-resolution electronic photo, at least 2.5" x 2.5" and 300 dpi), an electronic version and hard copy of the article, including original artwork.
For the initial submission and all revisions, send an MS Word document, but do not send 'read only' files.
Copyright of articles published in JTMAE are retained by the author(s). JTMAE-published articles fall under a CC BY license agreement. Articles submitted to the JTMAE
cannot be submitted to other publications while under review by JTMAE. Articles published in other copyrighted publications may not be submitted to the JTMAE and articles published in the JTMAE may not be published in other publications without written permission of ATMAE and the JTMAE Board of Directors.
The JTMAE uses a double-anonymous peer-review process for "peer-refereed" articles and each "peer-refereed" article is submitted to three reviewers for comment and requests for improvement. Reviewers do not have identification information about the authors and authors do not have identification information about the reviewers. Articles generally go through a second review after the first round of revisions are evaluated by reviewers and the Editorial Panel. The review process varies in length, but generally the time period from submission to acceptance is between three and nine months.
Non-refereed articles are read by the JTMAE Editorial panel and may be sent to one JTMAE Referee for comment and criticism. The time frame on these are highly variable, depending on the manuscript and topic.
At this time, JTMAE does not charge a submission or publication fee.